The key activities of Inspectorate consist in surveying the observance of Law on metrology provisions. In accordance with § 52, par. 1 of the Law of metrology, Inspectorate shall control, how the state administrative bodies, entrepreneurs and other legal persons (hereinafter referred to as “inspected persons”) fulfil their obligations stipulated in Law on metrology. Inspectorate shall monitor especially the observance of:
· use of the legal measurement units,
· obligations of the legally controlled measuring instruments users,
· obligations of the manufacturers and importers of the legally controlled measuring instruments before putting them on the market,
· conditions, scope and quality level of metrological activities performed by Slovak Institute of Metrology, legally assigned organizations or by authorized bodies,
· technical, premises and personnel conditions, as well as observance of the scope and quality level of activities performed by the registered persons within their registration scopes,
· parameters of manufactured legally controlled measuring instruments and their compliance with the approved types,
· obligations of packers and importers of e- marked pre-packages,
· the actual contents of pre-packages, whether they correspond with the nominal quantities.
In addition to it, Inspectorate shall:
- examine the legally controlled measuring instruments and pre-packages taken away under protocol,
- control, whether the legally controlled measuring instruments put on the market in accordance with the Law on conformity assessment are furnished with the declaration on conformity and conformity mark,
- verify, whether the characteristics of the legally controlled measuring instruments put on the market and the procedures of the conformity assessment correspond with the provisions specified in the respective declaration on conformity,
- check up the rightful use of conformity marks, whether they are not changed or forged,
- co-operate with the state administration bodies, authorized and registered persons, manufacturers and importers of the legally controlled measuring instruments, service organizations, users of the measuring instruments, packers and importers of the pre-packages - that all shall be carried out with the aim to assure the uniform and correct measurement procedures in the Slovak Republic that affect the consumer’s protection in the substantial manner.
The promotion of the Inspectorate’s activities and the observations thereof, as well as preparing the reports for professional undertakings, that all is related with the co-operation between Inspectorate and the public sector organizations and media.